Indian Linux Users Group, Chennai [ ILUGC ] is spreading awareness on Free Open Source Software in Chennai since Jan 1998. We meet regularly on every month second Saturday with technical talks and discussions on various Free software.
Check our website http://ilugc.org.in for further details.
Join our mailing list at https://www.freelists.org/list/ilugc
We have our Meet on January 10, 2014
Check the details below.
ILUGC Monthly Meet :-
Time : Sat January 10, 2014 (3.00 – 6.00 PM)
Venue: Classroom No 1, Aero Space Engineering, Near Gajendra Circle, IIT Madras.
Link for the Map: http://bit.ly/iit-aero
Talk 1: Introduction to NixOS
- Speaker: Shakthi Kannan
- Description: An overview of NixOS – a purely functional GNU/Linux distribution that uses the Nix package manager. It uses a declarative style for configuration management, and has atomic upgrades and rollback capabilities.
- Links: http://nixos.org/
- Duration: 45 minutes
- About Speaker: Shakthi Kannan is a Free Software enthusiast who blogs at shakthimaan.com.
Talk 2: The why’s and what’s of dotfiles
- Speaker: Shrayas
- Description: dotfiles, or dot-files are the files that start with a “.” in your home directory. As a standard, they are where your configuration is maintained. They are the representation of you in the system. Having your dotfiles handy and stored on the cloud can make the experience of moving from one system to another close to seamless. This talk proposes to introduce the concept of dotfiles and how and why to maintain them.
- Links: My dotfiles: https://github.com/shrayasr/dotfiles
- Duration: 30 Mins
- About Speaker: My name is Shrayas. I’m a FOSS enthusiast and look to learn and contribute wherever i can.
Talk 3: Tamil Wiki 100 User who can do 100 Edits
- Speaker: Siva Karthikeyan
- Description: An Initiative by tamil wikipedians to attract and retain more users to volunteer to edit tamil wikipedia. This talk would also include some information about the ways in which contribution can be made to tamil wikipedia.
- Links: https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/49gy
- Duration: 30 minutes
- About Speaker: Siva Karthikeyan, Tamil Wiki contributor.
Talk 4: Software efficiency and its real life impacts.
- Speaker: Prasanna
- Description: Software efficiency and its real life impacts.
- Duration: 30 minutes
- About Yourself: Prasanna working in Microchip Technologies.
General group discussions on any queries, doubts, announcements, events related to Free and Open Source Software and community.
CDs/DVDs, Files, OS, Community related documents, Projects can be shared on prior request. Announce this to all your friends, social network sites etc.
All are welcome. Entry Free
Note to the Speakers: Please do not bring proprietary OS.